Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week 5 Post: Games, Simulations, and Virtual Environments in Adult Learning

Conduct a Google search for online games, simulations, and virtual worlds, and you are bound to be met with a vast array of choices.  Where should one begin?  With so many choices available, it becomes increasingly difficult to select a particular game that can be interesting and lesson-friendly at the same time, and one that all the students in a class can enjoy and learn from.  However, while pondering this issue, I remembered two statements in Squire (2011) that resonated with me.  The first is related to mutual interest.  Squire (2011) recounts how he took an interest in a student’s hobby in order to reach out and connect with him.  Previously, the student had been reluctant to participate in activities and do his assignments.  Squire befriended the student through gaming, and researched the student’s hobby, in this case, a love of Great Pyrenees dogs, in order to engage him in conversation and reach out to him.  This show of interest forged a connection that enabled the once reluctant student to excel. 
            From this anecdote, I was reminded of the importance of teacher interest in students.  When planning to use games, we really need to keep our students in mind.  A game I found stimulating and fun may not evoke the same feelings in my students.  Furthermore, interest needs to exist at the outset.  If I do not like video games and have no interest in them, it would not make sense to try to employ them in class.  Firstly, I would probably have no idea what I was doing, and, secondly, it would be highly dismissive to tell the students to just play a game and do such-and-such activity; this kind of behavior does not foster an inclusive atmosphere in class.  In short, teachers need to be into gaming if they want to use games in class.
            The second item that struck me from Squire (2011) was his discussion of the Montessori system of education, specifically, its focus on the normal development of children and how creative problem solving is an essential, though not singular, component of this development.  Reflecting on creative problem solving, I thought about purpose in learning.  Solving a problem is an objective and teachers need to provide such an objective when incorporating games in their lessons.  Again, teachers cannot be dismissive and send students off to play games as if they are being sent away to recess; students need a purpose.  If students end up asking themselves what’s the point of all this? then something needs to be reworked.                
            It would seem, then, that a requisite for using games in class is teacher interest.  If teachers are not interested in games and gaming, this can also be used: Teachers can ask students to convince the teacher that gaming is interesting.  Such an activity can help students practice reasoning skills.  Also, an assignment can be designed around learners teaching teachers how to play games.  Again, such an assignment can be used to get students talking and participating in class.
            Therefore, in a language learning context, the opportunity to practice narration, instruction, and discourse become the focal points of teachers’s learning objectives.  If this seems like a simplistic approach to incorporating games into classroom curricula, then it probably is.  What we need to keep in mind is that to become a gamer, in other words, someone fluently capable with games of all sorts, requires years of familiarity with the gaming world.  If I were to compare myself to Squire, I am a novice.  True, I have played a number of games over the years, but my exposure to gaming pales in comparison to what Squire has in mind.  Therefore, if I were to choose a game, I would need to choose something that both learners and I can easily familiarize ourselves with.  Ideally, the students would already be familiar with the game, and I would need to catch up with them.
            In circumstances where I am not very familiar with a game, I would use my ignorance to create a teachable moment where students play the role of instructor and teach me how to play a game, but they must not, under any circumstances, take control over the game either by snatching the joystick from my hands or by asking me to scoot over so they can sit at the keyboard; they have to explain to me, orally, what it is that I need to do in the game.  If the students and I are both familiar with a game, then I would design a scenario in which I am stuck at a particular juncture in the game.  They have to provide me with a walkthrough to get through the part that I am stuck in.  This would work better if I told students that I was stuck on a particular level and they had to provide me with a walkthrough for that entire level.  The best thing about games these days is that there is more than one way to get through a level, so I can tap into some competitive spirit by challenging the students to come up with the best walkthrough.
            Bonk (2009) tells us that almost all teenagers play video games.  If as many learners are passionate about video games, then we have struck gold because “identifying students’ passions and using them as a vehicle for relating academic content,” (Squire, 2011, p. 46) can have a significant impact on students’s learning: “When passionate about a topic, students will willingly read and write texts that are far more complicated than texts about topics they are not passionate about” (Squire, 2011, p. 46).  However, we cannot assume that all students are passionate about games and gaming.  Therefore, we return to a common theme of the past several weeks: incorporating games into our classes does not necessarily mean that we exclude other forms of learning; just as incorporating technology in education does not mean we completely replace the old ways of doing things.
            Which games would I choose?  During the first week of classes, as we are building a healthy learning community, I would ask students to tell me which games are their favorites.  Then, I would prepare learning activities based on the feedback I get.  This way, I can be (almost) sure that the learning related to games would be both interest-driven and passionate.    
References
Bonk, C. J. (2009). The world is open: How web technology is revolutionizing education. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. 

Squire, K. (2011). Video games and learning: Teaching and participatory culture in the digital age. New York, NY: Teachers College Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment